The early Naples Company buildings were simple palmetto-thatched shacks on the beach. This photograph, taken in 1887, was later featured as a line drawing labeled “The first residence in Naples” in the company’s 1888 promotional brochure. The men are identified according to the cryptic scrawl on the bottom of the photograph as, from left to right, ? Griswold; Gen. John S. “Cerro Gordo” Williams, president of the Naples Company, and Major Champney, a French engineer.
The standard size for this photo is 8×10 inches. For larger sizes, please call the office at 239-261-8164.
This photographic image is not to be used or reproduced for any commercial purpose without the express prior written permission of Naples Historical Society, Inc. 239-261-8164