In 1916, Walter O. Parmer bought the former Watterson Cottage, where Henry Watterson had stayed during his working vacations as a guest of Walter Haldeman. The Parmers renamed the house Palm Cottage and spent every winter there until Walter’s death in 1938. The cottage was built of tabby, a type of homemade cement crafted from crushed, burned shells mixed with sand, water, and whole shells. It was built on a grand scale, with 12-foot ceilings and approximately five to seven bedrooms, designed to serve as a rental cottage and guest overflow for the Naples Hotel. Parmer stayed in the cottage in 1912 as part of John Hachmeister’s hunting and fishing expedition. In 1938, his friend George Hendrie, who also owned an estate across the street called The Pines, purchased the cottage. It is now the second-oldest house in Naples and is a historic house museum and headquarters of the Naples Historical Society.
The standard size for this photo is 8×10 inches.
This photographic image is not to be used or reproduced for any commercial purpose without the express prior written permission of Naples Historical Society, Inc. 239-261-8164